Friday, December 12, 2008

What's your soundtrack?

This took a little while but I was utilizing down time so don't judge me.
So Elwood recently posted the whole pick 5 cd’s to take with you on a desert island for 5 years bit on his blog. Anyway, I thought it would be interesting to do that again only where you could only take soundtracks from a movie or show. So don’t laugh or anything, but here’s my 5:
1. Batman-by Prince.
I loved this when it came out and I recently dusted it off and played it for Alec who has a good appreciation for the Dark Knight. Erin says that she did some kind of routine to “Lemon Crush” in high school. This album reminds me of Noah Guertin, Bow & Arrow Bible Camp, Jeanie Paden thinking they weren’t saying “funk” every 2 seconds, and High School. I was especially intrigued when this album came out to find out that “Batdance” is a melting pot of all the other songs on the album. Anyway, like most of Prince’s stuff, it’s timeless because it’s so alienish.
2. The Music Man.
I think somebody gave us this movie on VHS when we first got a VCR and I wore this movie out. Probably the high-tech Wyatts with their ham radios and flux-capacitors and all. Anyway, I’ve noticed that Family Guy has tons of song references from this movie and I figure I must be as cultured as a medical lab to know them all. Of course Jon Miller in Chicago knows every line as well. My favorite is Lida Rose.
3. Reservoir Dogs.
You know how if you’re like drinking orange soda when something traumatic happens, and then orange soda forever tastes a little off to you? Well, that’s what Quentin did to the songs “Stuck in the Middle with You” and especially “Coconut” in this film. What’s really warped is, now I like those songs better. Sorta like how you can never hear “Singing in the Rain” the same after watching A Clockwork Orange only not quite so damaging.
4. The Wall.
I guess this is probably a given for a Floyd Fan. 520 consecutive weeks in the Billboard Top 200 Charts. And go ahead and try to find a classic rock radio station that can go for more than an hour and a half without playing either “Comfortably Numb” or “Another Brick in the Wall”. My favorite on this album is “Nobody Home”. This movie is always playing in somebody’s dorm room in America.
5. The Blues Brothers.
These songs will never get tired. This movie will always be the symbols of everything that is pure and good about America, music, soul food, rocket launchers, Princess Leah, and the ends justifying the means. There’s not enough room in this blog for me to say everything I feel deep down inside about this movie and this music. It always makes me wonder how much a good microphone costs and how big of a bucket you would need for four fried chickens. And a coke. My favorite is “Sweet Home Chicago” which could go on forever.

3 comments:

Elwood said...

1. "Blues Brothers" soundtrack - natch.
2. "Big Chill" - great Motown blend.
3. "When Harry Met Sally" - HCJR rules, plus there's a holiday tune or two.
4. "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan" - for those adventurous days.
5. "Some Kind of Wonderful" - John Hughes' best movie, IMO, and the best soundtrack by far.

Uncle Rog said...

"Animal House" seems to be missing....how could anyone who allegedly attended college fail to include it???

Anonymous said...

Pink Floyd = most overrated band of all time


Saying Pink Floyd is the most overrated band of all time = quickest way to get John upset

Kyle B.